Sunday, July 6, 2014

Sunday Snapshots | #1


Happy Sunday, all! Today has been a surprisingly lovely day, filled with sunshine, sardines and wonderful company. After a sleepy start (it's was so nice not to wake up to an alarm!) my morning was spent with a luxuriously languid breakfast of porridge, fruit and yoghurt, followed with a trip to the supermarket to buy baking ingredients and browse the homeware- my God, Tesco's have some serious pastel crockery going on!

You can always tell it's summer in England when the air in our estate smells dense and heavy with the scent BBQ smoke, and naturally, today was no exception. Today my dad griddled some fresh sardines: with merely a little olive oil, salt and rosemary for seasoning. The taste was smoky and fresh, reminding me of a seemingly endless summer we once spent in the South of France, where we cooked sardines most evenings on a banged-up rusty BBQ on our moss-covered patio, as the sun set over fields of sunflowers.




This Kinfolk-style make-shift lunch was made all the more wonderful by the company. After a mad week at work, it was so lovely to relax with my parents and boyfriend in the summer sunshine whilst we nattered about food, holidays and my dad's hatred of Macbeth!






Alas, all good things must come to an end, and the time always dawns when I have to drive my boyfriend back to his house. I know I'm lucky that we live so close to each other, but after a glorious day like today, it's always a little sad to say goodbye. After a sleepy drive, watching the field whizz past the car window in a blur of sun-dappled green, and singing loudly to Rod Steward with the windows open ('Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?' will always be a classic), I popped into Toby's for a cup of tea, a chat and a cuddle with his adorable dog, Lola. I always feel so relaxed and at-ease when I'm with him and his family, which is so lovely. 



Naturally, I'm spending my evening typing up this post with my labrador Elma taking up the entire sofa with her outstretched legs, leaving me scrunched up in the corner! Whilst I miss uni and the friends I have there, it is oh-so lovely to be home for the summer. 

How's your sunday been? Have you been making the most of the sunshine?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger Template designed By The Sunday Studio.