Wednesday, February 19, 2014

February Favourites

It's February! Know what that means? Days not being entirely enveloped by encroaching, chilly, dark nights? The first, tentative buds of spring finally reaching from the waterlogged flowerbeds? The anniversary of BBC's EastEnders pilot broadcast? The day on which Byzantine Emperor Justinian ordered the building of a new Orthodox Christian basilica in Constantinople in 532BC? No silly, it means It's a month 'til my birthday.

Time for some February favourites.

#1. Korres Lip Butter in Pomegranate

There is nothing more pretty than an elegant, sheer, tinted lip: and because of this, lip butters have been my go-to beauty product of the last year. After finally hitting pan with my trusted Korres Lip Butter in 'Plum' (a gorgeous, rich purple-y shade ideal for Winter), I thought it wise to update my collection with a colour more suited to Spring- and 'Pomegranate' did not disappoint. As always, the lip butters are hydrating, easy to apply, smell lovely and leave a delicate sheen and colour on the lips.




I have a real struggle when it comes to buying foundations, especially as I have awkward pale, combination skin. However, this CC cream applies smoothly, has an absolutely perfect colour match, with just the right amount of coverage and, when paired with a good concealer and setting powder, leaves and almost flawless finish. I'm impressed. 



I adore personalised necklaces, and this one that I bought from Illusy on Etsy is definitely my favourite so far. Set on a thin gold chain, the pretty gold disk with an 'S' punched partially though it looks beautiful with anything. I wear it almost everyday, and it has even survived a few (accidental!) trips in the shower. 


#4. 'On Chesil Beach' by Ian McEwan

Read as a recommendation from my A'Level English teacher, this wonderfully poignant novella is one of the best things I have read all year. Set in 1962, the story follows the wedding night of young newlyweds, Florence and Edward. The couple's love is undeniable, despite their differing social backgrounds; Edwards callous sexual eagerness; and Florence's sheer terror when faced with physical intimacy. The narrative swiftly alternates between the night in question, and the development of the couple's relationship; leaving a subtle aftertaste of the sweet blushes of timid romance, to the wobbly strides of nervous courting, ending in the awkward, and somewhat anti-climatic, embarrassment of first time love-making. It's a really beautiful, beautiful novella.  







No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger Template designed By The Sunday Studio.